Vegan chilaquiles are the perfect Mexican breakfast or brunch! Made with crispy tortillas, savory tomatillo salsa, vegan egg, and vegan cotija cheese. This is the perfect way to veganize this authentic Mexican dish.
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 3/4 cup Just Egg
- 1/2 cup Salsa Verde (or to taste!)
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Cotija Cheese
- 1 Avocado
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Cashew or Almond Flour
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt or to taste
- Add Cashew or Almond flour into a medium bowl and mix in, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Juice half a lemon and add lemon juice to the mix little by little to make sure it does not get soggy. You want clumps to form but overall have a dry texture.
- Let sit.
- If using the oven instead of air fryer, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Stack tortillas in stacks of 3 and use a knife to cut like a pizza into 8 slices each.
- Brush HALF of your tortilla pieces in a little avocado oil and air fry or bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy. If air-frying set temperature to 375 F.
- Turn on stove to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp avocado oil to medium/large pan. Sauté the other half of your tortilla pieces in oil for 5-7 minutes. This helps create diverse textures so you’re not just eating tortilla “chips”, you have soft tortilla pieces and crunchy ones in the mix.
- Once crunchy pieces are ready, add to the pan and immediately add Just Egg. Cook for 5 minutes until the Just Egg mixture thickens up and cooks thoroughly.
- Add salsa verde and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes while mixing the salsa in. The amount of salsa added is personal preference, I personally love them to be soaked in salsa!
- Serve in a bowl with cilantro, avocado slices, and vegan cotija 🙂
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Serving Size: 2 servings