This Colombian Arepa recipe is simple, authentic, and comforting. It’s easy to make and you’ll only need 5 ingredients. It’s picky-eater friendly and perfect for family gatherings!
- 1 cup pre-cooked corn flour (I use P.A.N.)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter (see above for options)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella shreds
- Dissolve the salt in the warm water by whisking it in.
- Add corn flour to a mixing bowl. Slowly add the salted water and begin mixing by hand. Continue to add water until it forms a soft dough that is slightly sticky, but formed. Sometimes you may not use all of the water so add as you go. Keep warm water on hand to help with molding arepas.
- Add melted butter to dough and mix it in using your hands to knead the dough.
- You can either mix the cheese into the dough or stuff the arepa with cheese in the middle. It’s easier and faster to mix the cheese into the dough altogether but more fun to stuff it in the middle.
- Stuffed with cheese: Grab about 1/3 cup of the dough and use your hands to form a ball. Flatten it out and use your thumb to create an indent in the middle for the cheese. Add about 1 tablespoon of cheese and then close it off using your hand to roll it back into a ball.
- Cheese mixed in: once the dough is the appropriate texture, add the cheese to the dough and using your hands to mix it into the dough. Grab about 1/3 cup of the dough and use your hands to form a ball.
- Flatten it out using the palm of your hands and your thumbs to shape it into an arepa. They are typically about 4-inches wide and 1/2-inch thick.
- Once it is shaped, place it on a plate and cover it with a towel to avoid drying out. Repeat the process until all arepas are formed.
- Turn a griddle on medium heat and once it is hot, add arepas. Cook on each side for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve fresh and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: mains
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Colombian
- Serving Size: 1 arepa
Keywords: arepas recipe, vegan arepas recipe, vegan arepas, arepa recipe, colombian arepas recipe