These authentic vegan enchiladas are savory, easy to make, and will picky-eater friendly. They are filled with a delicious shredded tofu filling that does not taste like tofu one bit. The enchilada sauce recipe was passed down from my grandma so it’s really special, simple, and authentic!
- 8 guajillo peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 block tofu, shredded (see above for other options)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional, spicy)
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 15 corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced avocados
- Vegan cheese (optional)
- Soak guajillo peppers in hot water for 3 hours or overnight.
- Once soaked, take off stems, and seeds, and rinse quickly. Add to a blender along with the vegetable broth, garlic, and salt. Blend until smooth. Pour into a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Next, shred tofu and add it to a mixing bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together all filling ingredients (besides the onions and tofu), pour over tofu, and let marinate for 20 minutes (optional, but recommended).
- While it’s marinating, prep the veggies for the toppings.
- Turn a large pan on medium heat and add a little oil. Add diced onions and let cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add shredded tofu to the pan and cook until golden and slightly crispy, 10-15 minutes. You can also air fry for 10-15 minutes for a crispier texture.
- Turn on a griddle and heat up your tortillas. Place them in a tortilla warmer or a cloth to stay warm.
- Dip each tortilla in the enchilada sauce that’s in the shallow bowl. Flip to coat the tortilla on each side.
- Add a bit more oil to the griddle or pan. Place the saucy tortilla onto the griddle/pan and quickly add a heaping tablespoon of filling. Use tongs to roll the tortilla up and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side until slightly golden.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 until all tortillas are made. Once they’re all prepped, add your toppings and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan enchiladas, authentic mexican enchiladas, easy vegan enchiladas