Fried tofu in sweet and sour homemade orange sauce. I’m sure this dish can turn anyone who hates tofu into a tofu lover!
- 1/2 cup of neutral oil (I used canola)
- 1 package of tofu (16 oz / 454 g)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4–1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1/3–1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (optional)
- 2 teaspoons crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Press and pat dry the tofu. No need to press if you use Trader Joe’s High Protein Tofu. Break tofu into small 1-inch nuggets. The rough edges allow the dough to stay and become more crisp.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, salt, and garlic powder to a mixing bowl. Mix well. Add water and whisk until dough forms. You want it to be a little runny but not too thick.
- Add chunks of tofu to the batter and coat evenly.
- Turn a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu pieces one by one. Fry for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown. When ready, place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Add the sauce to a skillet over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes while stirring. If you use the same skillet you used for frying, be sure to get the oil out first.
- Once the sauce has thickened and simmered for at least 5 minutes, add the crispy tofu. Mix into sauce until all pieces are evenly coated.
- Serve over steamed white or brown rice and enjoy!
* See above for oil-free options
* For a chicken-like texture, freeze and thaw the tofu before cooking
* Can be made gluten-free with GF all-purpose flour
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked / Fried
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Keywords: vegan, plant-based, vegan comfort food, vegan chinese food, vegan orange chicken