The best vegan pozole verde you will ever have. Savory, cozy, satisfying, authentic, and nutritious! Make this delicious soup for a special occasion or batch cook it for the entire week.
- 6-8 green tomatillos
- 1 cup of spinach
- 2 handfuls of cilantro
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 jalapeno or serrano peppers
- 1 medium pasilla pepper
- 10 cups vegetable broth or 10 cups water with vegan bouillon– low sodium
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large can of Hominy (32 oz)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups mushrooms of choice (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans of jackfruit from Trader Joe’s (20 oz cans)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- Shredded cabbage
- Sliced radishes
- Chopped onion
- Dried oregano
- Turn a griddle on medium-high heat and roast tomatillos, peppers, and onion for 10-12 minutes or until black roasted spots begin to appear on all sides.
- Heat a small pan on medium heat to toast your pepitas. Toast on medium heat for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly to avoid burning seeds.
- Add pepitas, tomatillos, jalapeños, cilantro, spinach, and onion to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Add to pot and continue to simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes. Add salt, cumin, and pepper to taste.
- Fill a large pot with the remaining 8-9 cups of vegetable broth and boil on high. After the water begins to boil, turn it down to simmer and add the green mixture from the blender.
- Open can of hominy, drain and rinse. Add to pot of simmering broth.
- Open the cans of jackfruit, drain, rinse well and then pat dry with a towel. Shred the jackfruit with your hands or two forks.
- Add jackfruit to a pan and saute (or air fry) with 1 tbsp of oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and a tsp of garlic powder until golden/slightly crispy. Set aside.
- Prepare your toppings. Shred cabbage, sliced radishes, limes, and onions for toppings.
- Serve in a bowl, add toppings and enjoy!
*great for leftovers, refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for 4 months.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Mexican
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Keywords: vegan pozole verde, vegan pozole recipe, vegetarian pozole