Homemade tortillas are simply the best! No store-bought tortilla can compare to the ultra soft, heavenly wrap for tacos and quesadillas. The best part? You only need 3 simple ingredients to make these yourself this homemade corn tortillas recipe. Make sure to read through the tips and suggestions for the best results!
- 2 cups harina de maíz (see above for blue corn tortillas)
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional but highly recommended)
- Add harina de maíz (masa harina) and baking powder to a large mixing bowl. Mix well using your hands.
- Slowly add warm water while mixing with your hand until you get a dough that is slightly sticky but hold together well.
- Lightly wet your hands with a small amount of warm water to prevent dough from sticking to your hands.
- Using your hands, grab about a 1/4 cup size of dough and roll it into a ball. Smoosh it a little so it’s a flat ball of dough.
- Cut a piece of plastic to fit your tortilla press. If you don’t have a tortilla press, see above for alternative methods.
- Place dough ball on top of the plastic (on tortilla press), fold the other side of the plastic over to fully cover the dough, and smoosh it into a tortilla!
- Place on a flat griddle (comal), and cook for about 1 minute on the first side, and 1 minute on the other. Finally flip tortilla again for another 30 seconds. Once the tortilla begins to puff up in the middle, it’s done!
- Place ready-to-eat tortillas in a tortilla warmer to keep them from getting stiff or dry.
- Enjoy as tacos, quesadillas, or as is!
*best when eaten fresh but they keep well in a tightly covered container for up to 5 days.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Homemade corn tortillas, authentic corn tortillas, homemade corn tortillas recipe