Squash blossom quesadillas (Quesadillas de Flor de Calabaza) are authentic Mexican quesadillas but made with vegan cheese and a savory squash blossom filling. They are easy to make and only require 7 main ingredients.
- 15–20 squash blossoms
- 6–8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup vegan cheese (see above)
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1–2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the base of the squash blossoms which includes the green part that is rough and spikey. Gently rinse the squash blossoms with cold water and shake off excess water or place on a paper towel to absorb.
- Turn a pan on medium heat and add oil. Once hot, add diced onions and peppers. Cook for about 3 minutes and then add garlic and tomato. Cook until tomato is mushy, about 3-5 minutes. Add splashes of water to avoid veggies sticking to pan.
- Add squash blossoms and cook for no more than one minute. Immediately turn off heat and set aside. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn comal (griddle) on medium heat and add corn tortilla. Heat up for about a minute and then flip over. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of vegan cheese and squash blossom filling. Close tortilla to create a quesadilla and cook until cheese is melted. Flip once, and then remove from heat.
- Repeat process until all quesadillas are made.
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: quesadillas de flor de calabaza, vegan quesadillas, squash blossom recipes, squash blossom quesadillas