Vegan huevos rancheros are full of flavor and textures with a delicious eggy tofu scramble, authentic salsa ranchera, and refried beans on top of a crispy tortilla. It is one of the most flavorful Mexican breakfast options ever!
- 1 block extra protein tofu
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Kala Namak (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3–4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 2–3 arbol chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6–8 corn tortillas
- 1/2–1 cup refried beans
- Turn a griddle on medium-high heat and add tomatoes, garlic, and arbol chilies. Roast the tomatoes for about 10-15 minutes until charred on all sides, garlic will take less time – about 7-10 minutes. Chilies will roast in about 30-40 seconds on each side, be sure not to burn them!
- Add roasted tomatoes, peeled garlic, chilies, and salt to a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Turn a large pan on medium heat. Add oil and once oil is hot, add sliced onions and fry until golden for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add salsa to the pan. While it begins simmering, grab your tofu and crumble it into the pan. Use your hands to break it down but avoid crumbling too much as it continues to crumble in the pan.
- Once the tofu is in the pan, add onion powder, nutritional yeast, and turmeric. Mix it in and place the lid on the pan. Let it cook together for 5-8 minutes or until the tofu has soaked up most of the salsa.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to preference. Once most of the salsa is soaked up by the tofu, turn heat off and set aside.
- In a small pan add about 1/2 tbsp of oil and fry your tortilla on both sides for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the crispy tortilla on a plate, and add refried beans on top (optional), your tofu ranchero, cilantro, avocado, and whatever else you’d like. Enjoy!