Vegan rajas con crema is a creamy dish using savory, roasted poblano peppers, onions, and garlic. It’s a true Mexican comfort recipe that is slightly spicy, creamy, healthy, and authentic. The creamy “crema” complements the flavor of the poblano peppers nicely and is perfect to stuff into a tortilla.
- 6 poblano peppers
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup pinto beans (or beans of choice)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2–3/4 tsp salt
- Soak cashews overnight or boil in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Roast poblano peppers on the griddle or oven until charred on all sides. If using the oven, bake at 400 F for 20 minutes and then 2-3 minutes on “broil”.
- Immediately place hot poblanos inside a plastic bag and seal tight. Let sit inside a plastic bag for 10 minutes.
- Once peppers cool off, peel the skins to the best of your ability. Slice into long, thin slices.
- Turn pan on medium heat and add oil. Once hot, add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Deglaze with vegetable broth or water if they begin to stick to the pan.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Next, add sliced poblano peppers, beans, and sauté for a few minutes until everything is hot.
- Pour cashew crema into the pan and mix everything in until well incorporated. Add extra vegetable broth/water to thin out the sour cream to your liking.
- Serve with corn tortillas or add to quesadillas, burritos, and more!
- Category: Mexican
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan rajas con crema, vegan poblano pepper recipe, poblano pepper recipes