These black bean flautas are also known as taquitos. They are crispy, rolled-up tacos, filled with a delicious black bean filling. These are the perfect weekday dinner or lazy lunch as they are made with only 7 ingredients and super easy to prep!
- 1 can low sodium black beans
- 8–10 corn tortillas
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp canola oil (optional)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2–3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse black beans. Dice onion and jalapeño.
- Turn medium sized pan on medium/high heat and add about 2 tbsp vegetable broth, diced onion and jalapeño to pan. Cook for 5 minutes until onion becomes translucent. Add splashes of vegetable broth as needed/if it dries up.
- Add black beans to the pan with the rest of the vegetable broth. Cook for 5 minutes until beans are hot, soft and you’re able to mash them with the back of your spoon/spatula. Add in cumin, garlic power, salt, pepper and set aside.
- Turn large griddle on medium/high. Wait until pan is hot and warm up your tortillas to prevent them from breaking apart when rolling. Warm tortillas for 30 seconds on each side and then set aside on large cutting board. If you don’t have a griddle, a microwave will do.
- Fill each tortilla with a heaping tablespoon of beans and roll it up. You can use a toothpick to keep closed or just set the opening part of the flauta on the bottom. Repeat until you have rolled up all taquitos.
Heat 1/4-1/2 cup of canola or vegetable oil in a pan. Once hot, carefully add 3-4 flautas to the oil and fry for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Repeat until all flautas are fried.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Place flautas on a baking tray and lightly brush with oil (optional). Bake for 16-20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Air Fryer: My favorite option!
Lightly brush with oil (optional). Air fry 4-5 flautas at a time at 390 F for 11-12 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 11-20
- Category: Mexican
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan flautas, black bean flautas, black bean taquitos