There is nothing like a hot bowl of frijoles de la olla (freshly boiled beans). Freshly boiled beans are a staple in every Mexican household and they are super easy to make. You only need 4 main ingredients: beans, water, salt, and garlic.
- 1 lb beans
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 epazote leaves (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of salt, or to taste
- Rinse beans well and remove stones/debris
- Soak beans for a few hours. (Optional)
- Add beans to pot along with garlic. Add onion too if you’d like! Make sure the water is at least 4 inches over the beans.
- If the beans float in the water, they’re old, throw them away.
- Place on high heat until it boils and then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Simmer on low for 1.5-3 hours depending on the bean. Add salt towards to end.
- Once beans are almost done, add salt. At this point you can also add a few Epazote leaves to reduce bloating & gas.
- Turn off and enjoy the best frijoles de la olla ????
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: frijoles de la olla, homemade beans, frijoles peruanos