This vegan horchata recipe is a refreshing Mexican rice and cinnamon drink that is super easy to make and requires only 6 ingredients! Authentic horchata is a great drink to have on a warm sunny day along with an authentic Mexican dish.
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 cups room temperature water
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder (Ceylon)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat milk or plant milk of choice
- Ice cubes to serve
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups horchata
- Add rice, cinnamon sticks/powder, and hot water in a mixing bowl. Cover the bowl and let soak overnight at room temperature.
- The next morning, pour the rice mixture into a blender and blend until you create a smooth and watery paste.
- Next, strain the rice mixture into a pitcher using a fine strainer and a cheesecloth. If you don’t have a cheesecloth, that is also okay because the sediment will stay at the bottom of the pitcher.
- Add oat milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and the rest of the water to the horchata. For a tip on how to easily stir-in sugar, see above in the tip section.
- Chill horchata in the refrigerator for a few hours. Serve over ice in glasses and enjoy!
Overnight Horchata Oats:
- Add 2 cups rolled oats and 2 cups horchata to a sealable container.
- Refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 3 hours to allow the oats to “cook”.
- Once it’s ready, sprinkle extra Ceylon cinnamon, any seeds/nuts of choice, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Drinks
- Method: No-cook
- Cuisine: Mexican