Make this vegan roast recipe for your next holiday dinner or special occasion. This roast is savory, meaty, flavorful and super easy to make. Make sure to save this recipe to impress your friends and family!.
- 2 ½ cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- ½ cup walnuts
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning or (Trader Joe’s chicken-free seasoning)
- 1 ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
- Separate the vegetable broth into 1.5-cup and 2-cup servings. 2 cups will be used for cooking and 1.5 cups will be mixed with other ingredients.
- Add all ingredients except vital wheat gluten and 2 cups vegetable broth to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add vital wheat gluten to a large mixing bowl. Add the chickpea mix to the vital wheat gluten and combine well. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until it is hard and you can see the gluten stretch.
- Form the dough into a log shape and lightly coat the surface with olive or avocado oil.
- Use a piece of cheesecloth to wrap the roast several times to fold it securely underneath or tie it at each end. Floss to tie the roast 5-6 times to create a graceful tied roast.
- Add to a baking dish along with 2 cups of the vegetable broth. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Flip the roast after 50 minutes.
- Once the roast feels firm in the center, it’s done! If it is still soft, cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Note that the texture improves significantly the next day.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 105
- Serving Size: 8-10 servings