This comforting bowl of vegan chicken tortilla soup is like a hug for your tummy. It is flavorful, nourishing, and delicious all in one. Make a large batch of it because you’ll want to eat more than just one bowl!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons chipotle adobo sauce
- 14 ½ ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
- 4 cups chicken-free broth (see notes)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 can of jackfruit (see above)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime juice
- 1 avocado, sliced
Crispy tortilla strips:
- 6 6 “corn tortillas cut into ¼” strips
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat in a small skillet. Add the tortilla strips in small batches and fry until crisp. Pat dry and add salt to taste. You can also use the deep fryer for these!
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 2 min. Add the garlic and cumin and sauté for another 2-3 min.
- Add the chipotle adobo sauce and cook for 1-2 min. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and add the sweet potatoes and chopped lentils. Cook for 10 min.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 5 min.
- Serve and top with cilantro, tortilla strips, lemon wedges, and sliced avocado.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Mexican
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 8 servings
Keywords: vegan chicken, vegan tortilla soup, vegan chicken tortilla soup, vegan mexican soup