Vegan Chicken Tortilla Soup has got to be the most comforting soup ever! The latin flavors, the slight kick, the crunch from the tortilla chips… I could go on and on about this soup. It is perfect for a cold winter day but to be honest I eat this soup year round because it’s just THAT good.
Make the BEST Vegan Chicken Tortilla Soup:
I used jackfruit for this recipe but feel free to use seitan, soy curls, vegan chicken or chickpeas. If you want to use vegan chicken with texture extremely close to regular chicken, I highly recommend The Tofurkey Company.
I packed this baby with vegetables and I highly recommend doing so! The star of the show is the sweet potato. I used white sweet potato so you can’t really see it in the photos but the flavor it adds is insane. It creates a wonderful balance with all the savory goodness and spices! The zucchini is optional but so delicious.
Why Red Lentils?
TRUST ME on this one! Red lentils will make the creamiest texture because unlike green lentils they fully dissolve making the soup extra creamy. Also… the protein?! These lentils are the reason there is so much protein in one bowl!
Is it spicy?
Everyone has a different spice tolerance but I would say this has a mild kick to it. If you are very sensitive to spice I recommend you substitute the jalapeño for half a green bell pepper. DO NOT leave the chipotle adobo sauce out! It provides so much flavor. Speaking of the adobo sauce, check out the photo below for my favorite. Scoop out the adobo sauce in the can and avoid the chili peppers.. unless you want to add them.
No Chicken Broth
For best results use Better Than Bouillon – no chicken base. Use 1 tbsp and dissolve it in 4 cups of warm water.
One bowl of this soup will provide you with about 20 grams of protein so it us sure to keep you nice and full until your next meal. Make this for your family, friends or loved one and enjoy a cozy night in. The best part about this recipe? You will have leftovers for the at least 2 days!
I highly recommend making this vegan chicken tortilla soup for meal prep! The soup tastes even better the day after because all the flavors marinate together. Hear me out when I say that you won’t mind eating this for 3 days straight 😉
Vegan Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Total Time: 40
- Yield: 8 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This comforting bowl of vegan chicken tortilla soup is like a hug for your tummy. It is flavorful, nourishing, and delicious all in one. Make a large batch of it because you’ll want to eat more than just one bowl!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons chipotle adobo sauce
- 14 ½ ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
- 4 cups chicken-free broth (see notes)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 can of jackfruit (see above)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime juice
- 1 avocado, sliced
Crispy tortilla strips:
- 6 6 “corn tortillas cut into ¼” strips
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat in a small skillet. Add the tortilla strips in small batches and fry until crisp. Pat dry and add salt to taste. You can also use the deep fryer for these!
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 2 min. Add the garlic and cumin and sauté for another 2-3 min.
- Add the chipotle adobo sauce and cook for 1-2 min. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and add the sweet potatoes and chopped lentils. Cook for 10 min.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 5 min.
- Serve and top with cilantro, tortilla strips, lemon wedges, and sliced avocado.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Mexican
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 8 servings
Keywords: vegan chicken, vegan tortilla soup, vegan chicken tortilla soup, vegan mexican soup