This espagueti verde sauce (green spaghetti sauce) is a creamy, savory Mexican pasta sauce that is absolutely irresistible. This delicious sauce is made with roasted poblano peppers, spinach, onions, Serrano peppers, cilantro, and soaked cashews.
This delicious espagueti verde is basically a Mexican pesto, that tastes nothing like Italian pesto haha. The sauce is delicious, savory, a tad bit spicy, and super creamy. It is perfect to toss pasta into but you can also use it as a salsa for tacos, chips, enchiladas, nachos, and so much more! I highly recommend making a double batch if you plan on making it for more than 2 people, it tastes better the day after too.
Aside from being extremely delicious, this sauce is nutrient-packed! It has protein from the cashews, antioxidants from the spinach, and many other vitamins and minerals from the peppers, onions, and cilantro. It’s a great way to add more vegetables to a picky eater’s diet. So easy to make and you’ll only need these 7 main ingredients:
Espagueti Verde Sauce Ingredients
- Poblano Peppers: This is one of the tastiest peppers in the world, and no I’m not exaggerating. It is not spicy (however you may get a rare one that is a little spicier) but has so much flavor! Find it at almost any grocery store, it is usually labeled poblano/pasilla pepper.
- Cashews: This is where the creaminess will come from. It’s highly recommended to soak them overnight or in boiling hot water for at least 45 minutes. You can also use slivered almonds (without the skins), or vegan cream cheese as a substitute.
- Serrano Pepper: It’s optional but great for those that want to add more kick to this sauce. You can also use jalapeño peppers instead.
- Cilantro: The most popular Mexican herb so of course, I had to add it to balance out flavors.
- Baby Spinach: This helps give it a bright green color and of course adds more nutrients. I have not tried using kale or any other leafy greens.
- Vegetable broth: Adds a ton of flavor but you can also use water. If using water make sure to adjust salt.
Tips and Substitutes:
- Add vegan cheese on top for extra flavor! I love adding vegan parmesan cheese from trader Joe’s but my vegan queso fresco recipe pairs so well with it too!
- Vegan chicken makes a great addition to this meal and boosts protein.
- Add more veggies in the mix such as peas, broccoli, asparagus, and more!
- Air fry the poblano peppers! Super easy and fast. This is the air fryer I have.
- Add extra cilantro on top for garnish
- Spaghetti is the type of pasta that is typically used but feel free to use any kind you have.
- Keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
- Use it as a salsa, you absolutely HAVE to try dipping a tortilla chip in it