Who said vegan cheese couldn’t be stretchy and gooey?! I was inspired to make this vegan mozzarella cheese recipe when I realized that many store-bought cheeses don’t stretch. I also know that cheese is one of the hardest animal products to give up when going plant-based or vegan, especially the stretchy kind. Well that excuse is no longer valid after trying this delicious, stretchy vegan cheese!
How to make a stretchy vegan mozzarella cheese
- Soak cashews in boiling hot water or room temperature water overnight.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth liquid forms.
- Add ingredients to a hot pan until thick a gooey cheese form.
- Serve immediately!
Why you’ll love this vegan cheese:
- Super easy to make! Only about 15 minutes of actual labor.
- The texture is unlike any other: stretchy, cheesy, and it can brown in the oven!
- High protein, rich in healthy fats and overall wholesome.
- Makes it easier to eat more plant-based or go vegan.
Tips & Substitutes:
You can use skinless, slivered almonds instead of cashews for this recipe. If you want to avoid all nuts, try using full fat coconut milk instead of the nuts. I have not tried it but have heard great things! Lot’s of vegan cheeses are made with coconut fat/milk.
Don’t have apple cider vinegar? Try fresh lemon juice instead.
Tapioca starch is the secret ingredient for ultimate stretchiness texture. I usually get mine at whole foods. I like Bob’s Red Mill brand, super affordable and great quality.
Adding olive oil makes it brown easier. Lightly brush olive oil on top of the cheese when baking it on a pizza. You’ll never want to buy store bought vegan cheese again!
How to use this vegan cheese:
- Grilled cheese sandwich
- Quesadillas: try my favorite Loaded Quesadilla recipe!
- Lasagna: try my famous Classic Lasagna recipe!
- Anything your heart desires
Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (Stretchy)
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 6 1x
- Diet: Vegan
The stretch vegan cheese recipe you’ve been waiting for! This super easy 5-ingredient vegan mozzarella cheese recipe will be your go-to for grilled cheeses, pizza, quesadillas, lasagna, and more!
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Soak cashews in boiling water for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- Drain the cashews, add them to the blender along with fresh water, apple cider vinegar, tapioca starch, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Pour the cheese liquid into a skillet and simmer. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes. It may get lumpy, but keep stirring until you get a thick, gooey cheese.
- Use it immediately! Serve on toast, make a grilled cheese sandwich, add to pizza or quesadillas, and more.
- If you bake in the oven: apply olive oil on top so that it browns well.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Keywords: vegan, plant-based, vegan comfort food, vegan cheese, vegan mozzarella