The perfect vegan Pumpkin Mac and cheese! This is perfect for thanksgiving, holiday parties or year-round dinners. It’s packed with nutrients, high in protein, and oh so comforting.
Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
This oven-baked, vegan pumpkin Mac and cheese is super easy to make and so delicious. It will be your new thanksgiving favorite! I covered all the basics for a delicious Mac and cheese; the cheesiness, the sauciness, heartiness, PLUS extra nutrients. It’s also super duper easy to make!
4 Simple Steps:
BLEND: Get your sauce ready by blending all the sauce ingredients besides the cheddar cheese.
POUR: Add uncooked pasta to baking dish then pour in your freshly blended sauce. Add about 1/2 cup of vegan shredded cheese, use a spoon to mix in well and make sure all pasta shells are covered.
BAKE: Cover baking dish in aluminums foil and bake at 425 F (218 C) for 35 minutes.
BREADCRUMB: Toast 4-5 slices of bread until crispy on both sides. Add to a food processor and blend with olive oil, salt, and herbs. Spread on top of the Mac and cheese with the rest of the shredded cheeses and bake for an extra 10 minutes.
The ingredients are also super simple. Take a look:
Tips and Substitutes:
- A good vegan cheese is definitely hard to find, but don’t worry — I did the hard part for you! I’m pretty sure I’ve tried every single plant-based cheese on the market now and here are my top favorites:
- Follow your heart
- Chao by Field Roast
- So Delicious and Violife
- Adding vegan cheese is not absolutely necessary for this recipe and you can substitute with a bit extra nutritional yeast and full fat coconut milk. If you are not adding cheese, add 2 extra tablespoons of nooch, 1 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk.
- I like to add soaked cashews because they add a nice healthy fat, extra protein, as well as a delicious flavor that is overall pretty neutral with a hint of sweetness. It makes the sauce extra creamy and smooth.
- However, you can feel free to substitute with another fat such as full fat coconut milk, vegan butter or even olive oil PLUS a creamy vegetables like potato or cauliflower.
1/2 cup cooked cauliflower or potato + 2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup cooked cauliflower or potato + 2 tbsp vegan butter
Substitutes for your Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
If using vegan butter, I highly recommend using Earth Balance for vegan butter. IT WAS INSANELY GOOD! HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
Other substitute options and tips:
- Fresh garlic/onion = Garlic or onion powder
- Pumpkin = Sweet potato or yam
- This mac and cheese stays good about 3-4 days in the refrigerator. When reheating make sure to add 1-2 tablespoons of oat or almond milk per bowl to get it creamy again