This chilaquiles recipe is the perfect Mexican breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. Crispy, air-fried tortillas mixed in with a savory guajillo sauce and vegan egg. They are easy to make and high in protein, fiber, and flavor!
Authentic Chilaquiles Recipe
If you go to Mexico, you’ll see that chilaquiles are the most popular breakfast/lunch to have. There are many different ways to make them. There are chilaquiles mojos, made with a red sauce, and chilaquiles verdes as well which are made with a green salsa. I made the red chilaquiles but I also have a recipe for chilaquiles verses here. I grew up eating them and am so excited to share these vegan chilaquiles with you all!
Aside from being delicious, they are also pretty balanced! You get your carbohydrates from the corn tortilla, plant-based protein from the vegan egg, extra fiber, and nutrients from the sauce and toppings.
Chilaquiles Recipe Ingredients
- Tortillas: I typically make these with corn tortillas since that is the authentic way. Best corn tortillas to use are regular Guerrero tortillas or corn tortillas from Trader Joe’s. If you want to make your own tortillas, click here for my recipe on authentic homemade tortillas.
- Oil: To get a more authentic taste I highly recommend using a little oil. I air fry my tortillas so you don’t need much oil. You can also fry the tortillas in oil to be more authentic!
- Guajillo peppers: This adds the best flavor in the sauce and coats the carne de soya very nicely. You can also use dried California chili peppers if you can’t find guajillo. Find these at any Mexican grocery store. Sometimes they carry them in regular grocery stores like Lucky as well, in the Mexican spice section.
- Toppings: Typical toppings include more salsa (of course), avocado, cheese (I LOVE adding queso fresco), beans, vegan sour cream, and even vegan chicken.
Tips for the BEST Vegan Chilaquiles:
- Serve immediately! Chilaquiles can get soggy quick. However, I’m a huge fan of soggy chilaquiles too lol 😉
- Avoid using already-made tortilla chips if possible.
- If getting Just Egg isn’t accessible, try making your own tofu scramble.
- Highly recommend adding some vegan queso fresco!