This poblano cream sauce recipe is super creamy, rich, with major roasted poblano pepper flavor. It’s super easy to make and only requires 5 main ingredients! Use this sauce for tacos, quesadillas, nachos, taquitos (flautas), and so much more!
What is Poblano Cream Sauce?
Poblano cream sauce is technically a poblano pepper-flavored sour cream-like sauce. It is rich in healthy fats, savory, and not spicy at all! It’s perfect for dipping flautas/taquitos, adding to tacos, soles, tostadas, and more!
This vegan poblano cream sauce is made with 5 main ingredients: poblano peppers, cashews, garlic, water, and lime juice. BUT in case you’re allergic to some of these or don’t have them, please check out my substitute options below!
Poblano Cream Sauce Ingredients and Tips:
- Poblano peppers: These are not found in all grocery stores but you can usually get them at Safeway, Raley’s, Whole Foods, Lucky, Costco, and of course, Mexican grocery stores.
- Cashews: They provide creaminess and healthy fats. A good substitute is silken tofu + 1 tbsp olive oil. You can also try using a greek-style, plain, vegan yogurt.
- Avocado: optional really, but pairs very well with poblano peppers!
- Garlic: I like to roast my garlic along with the poblano peppers but you can also add it raw.
- Water/vegetable broth: vegetable broth for more flavor!
- Spicy: I highly recommend adding 1-3 jalapeños or Serrano peppers to add a bit of heat. Roast them along with the poblano peppers to get that smoky flavor.
- Lime: optional but helps with flavor and keeping it fresh for longer!
How to Roast Poblano Peppers:
I have roasted peppers using various methods: oven, air-fryer, open flame, and griddle (stove-top). If you want more details, check out Nancy’s full guide on how to roast poblano peppers! She includes all methods I mentioned above.