Vegan Pozole rojo is one of the more comforting Mexican soups out there. Hearty and flavorful soup made with hominy, seasoned jackfruit, and a savory chili broth that warms your soul! This authentic Mexican soup is typically made for special events and holidays.
How to make Vegan Pozole
Pozole is typically made with pork or chicken but most of the flavor comes from the chilies which makes it easy to make vegan! Another ingredient that must be substitutes is the chicken/beef broth for vegetable. There are some misconceptions about the process of making pozole; it’s complicated, too many ingredients, etc. HOWEVER, it’s actually a lot easier than you think!
I learned to make pozole from my mom. My mom learned how to make it from her mom, and so on. My grandmother was born and raised in Purepero, Michoacán. In this state of Mexico, red pozole is much more popular than green or white pozole. Contrary to popular belief, pozole is super easy to make! It only has 3 main components and very simple ingredients:
The 3 main components of Pozole Rojo
- Guajillo chili peppers: You can find these at any Mexican grocery store or sometimes at large groceries (Safeway and Foodmaxx).
- Broth (water + bouillon): I love using vegan better than bouillon!
- Hominy: I love using Juanita’s brand but they are all pretty good.
- Jackfruit: You can find canned jackfruit at Trader Joe’s, Safeway or Sprouts.
- Shredded cabbage
- Diced onion
- Mexican Chili Oil: It adds the perfect amount of heat and extra flavor. Try this recipe!
When to serve Vegan Pozole:
Vegan pozole rojo is delicious and appropriate to serve year-round but it’s mostly served on special occasions. Pozole is served at weddings, birthdays, but most importantly during the holidays! If you visit a Mexican household at Christmas or new years, you’re very likely to see pozole being served.
This vegan pozole recipe is an easy way to warm up during the cold months. If you want to other delicious Mexican soups to choose from check these out:Print
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan Pozole Rojo is one of the more comforting Mexican soups out there. Hearty and flavorful soup made with hominy, seasoned jackfruit, and a savory chili broth that warms your soul! This authentic Mexican soup is typically made for special events and holidays.
- 10 guajillo chilies, dried
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 12 cups water + 2 tbsp vegetable better than bouillon OR packaged vegetable broth*
- 1 108oz can hominy
- 3 20oz cans of Jackfruit
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari (low sodium)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Shredded cabbage
- Diced onion
- Mexican Chili Oil
- Soak guajillo chili peppers in 2 cups of hot water for an hour.
- Add water to a large pot and bring it to a boil. Once it starts simmering, add bouillon paste to dissolve in water. Stir in to help dissolve.
- Blend soaked chili peppers in a blender along with garlic, the water they were soaking in, and 1/2 tbsp salt. Blend well and strain into the pot of simmering broth.
- Add hominy into the pot and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile the pozole is simmering, prep the jackfruit. Open cans of jackfruit, drain and rinse. Pat dry with a towel and shred using your hands.
- Add jackfruit to a mixing bowl and add tamari/soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, maple syrup, and avocado oil.
- Air-fry, bake or pan-fry for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crispy. Set aside.
- Taste pozole and adjust salt if needed. After 30 minutes, serve in a bowl. Top off with shredded jackfruit, chopped onions, shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, chili oil, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan pozole, vegan pozole recipe, vegan pozole rojo