Vegan Pozole rojo is one of the more comforting Mexican soups out there. Hearty and flavorful soup made with hominy, seasoned jackfruit, and a savory chili broth that warms your soul! This authentic Mexican soup is typically made for special events and holidays.
How to make Vegan Pozole
Pozole is typically made with pork or chicken but most of the flavor comes from the chilies which makes it easy to make vegan! Another ingredient that must be substitutes is the chicken/beef broth for vegetable. There are some misconceptions about the process of making pozole; it’s complicated, too many ingredients, etc. HOWEVER, it’s actually a lot easier than you think!
I learned to make pozole from my mom. My mom learned how to make it from her mom, and so on. My grandmother was born and raised in Purepero, Michoacán. In this state of Mexico, red pozole is much more popular than green or white pozole. Contrary to popular belief, pozole is super easy to make! It only has 3 main components and very simple ingredients:
The 3 main components of Pozole Rojo
- Guajillo chili peppers: You can find these at any Mexican grocery store or sometimes at large groceries (Safeway and Foodmaxx).
- Broth (water + bouillon): I love using vegan better than bouillon!
- Hominy: I love using Juanita’s brand but they are all pretty good.
- Jackfruit: You can find canned jackfruit at Trader Joe’s, Safeway or Sprouts.
- Shredded cabbage
- Diced onion
- Mexican Chili Oil: It adds the perfect amount of heat and extra flavor. Try this recipe!
When to serve Vegan Pozole:
Vegan pozole rojo is delicious and appropriate to serve year-round but it’s mostly served on special occasions. Pozole is served at weddings, birthdays, but most importantly during the holidays! If you visit a Mexican household at Christmas or new years, you’re very likely to see pozole being served.
This vegan pozole recipe is an easy way to warm up during the cold months. If you want to other delicious Mexican soups to choose from check these out:Print