Sopa de Coditos is a simple yet comforting pasta soup that is a staple in every Mexican household. It’s a super easy-to-make, 6-ingredient elbow pasta in a light and savory tomato broth.
Sopa de Coditos
This simple sopa de coditos was every Mexican kid’s favorite meal! It is super picky-eater friendly, easy to make, affordable, and very delish. You can make an entire pot of sopita for about $5.00. Growing up, I had no idea that this simple dish would be so meaningful to me. When I’m having a rough day, I can just take 15 minutes to whip it up and curl up on the couch watching telenovelas and sipping my sopita de coditos.
Sopa de Coditos Ingredients
All you need is 6 ingredients:
Elbow pasta, Tomatoes, Onion, Garlic, Vegetable broth, Oil
I don’t recommend substituting any of these ingredients if possible. The only ingredient that could be substituted is the type of pasta. Fideo is basically just Mexican pasta that you can find in any Mexican grocery store. There is also sopa de fideo, sopa de letras (alphabet soup), and many more. If you don’t have a Mexican grocery store close by, try Safeway, Lucky, or any large grocery stores like these. Here are some examples of what it may look like:
- Avoid overcooking the fideo. Mexican-style pasta is much thinner than regular pasta and typically cooks way faster.
- Pay close attention when frying it to avoid burning it as well.
- If you’re not a huge fan of thin pasta, use regular! Fideo can get soft/soggy quicker and has less texture overall.
- There are many different kinds of fideo. I personally love the little star-shaped one 🙂
- Use vegan Knorr for a more authentic broth. Always double-check the ingredients!
How to Balance Sopa de Coditos
The typical sopa de fideo is really just carbohydrates with a bit of veggies in the broth. If you want to make this a complete meal, let’s add more veggies and some protein! I love adding chickpeas, beans, or lentils for protein and carrots for more vegetables. Here are other options that would go well in this soup:
- black beans
- bell pepper
- vegan chicken