Sopa de fideo is a simple yet comforting pasta soup that is a staple in every Mexican household. It’s a super easy 6-ingredient, short angel hair-style pasta in a light and savory tomato broth.
Sopa De Fideo
This simple sopa de fideo was every Mexican kid’s favorite meal! It is super picky-eater friendly, easy to make, affordable, and very delish. You can make an entire pot of fideo soup for about $5.00. Growing up, I had no idea that this simple dish would be so meaningful to me. When I’m having a rough day, I can just take 15 minutes to whip it up and curl up on the couch watching telenovelas and sipping my sopita de fideo.
Sopa de Fideo Ingredients
These 6 ingredients is all you’ll need:
Fideo (Mexican pasta), Tomatoes, Onion, Garlic, Vegetable broth, Oil
I don’t recommend substituting any of them if possible. The only ingredient that could be difficult to find is the fideo. Fideo is basically just Mexican pasta that you can find in any Mexican grocery store. If you don’t have a Mexican grocery store close by, try Safeway, Lucky, or any large grocery stores like these.
- Avoid overcooking the fideo. Mexican-style pasta is much thinner than regular pasta and typically cooks way faster.
- Also pay close attention when frying it to avoid burning it as well.
- If you’re not a huge fan of thin pasta, use regular! Fideo can get soft/soggy quicker and has less texture overall.
- There are many different kinda of fideo. I personally love the little star-shaped one 🙂
- Use vegan Knorr for a more authentic broth. Always double check the ingredients!
How to Make it Balanced
The typical sopa de fideo is really just carbohydrates with a bit of veggies in the broth. If you want to make this a complete meal, let’s add more veggies and some protein! I love adding chickpeas for protein and zucchini for more vegetables. Here are other options that would go well in this soup:
- pinto beans
- Vegan chicken