These vegan Tacos dorados are the ultimate Mexican comfort food. They are golden crispy, flavorful, satisfying, and authentically Mexican.
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 lb impossible ground beef (see above for alternatives)
- 2 medium potatoes, diced (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 –1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Vegan queso fresco
- Turn a large pan on medium heat and add oil. Once hot, add onions and tomato. Cook for 2-3 minutes before adding impossible meat or alternative.
- Let the impossible meat cook for about 3 minutes until it begins turning brown and easier to break down. Use the spatula to begin breaking it down a bit and add diced potatoes and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 6-7 minutes on low heat.
- Meanwhile, prep toppings such as lettuce, tomato, guacamole, etc.
- Take the lid off the pan and use the spatula to continue breaking the impossible beef down into small pieces. Check potatoes for doneness and turn the pan off when the impossible beef is fully brown and the potatoes are cooked.
- Next, grab your corn tortillas and place them in a plastic bag or wrap them in a hand towel. Place them in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes to heat them up. This prevents them from breaking when making the tacos.
- Once the tortillas are warm, take the first one and add bout 2 tablespoons of the potato-beef filling. Fold it in half to close it and set it aside. Repeat this step until all of the tacos have been formed.
- Next, heat a large pan on medium heat with about 1/2 cup of oil. Once the oil is hot, use tongs to place a taco into the oil. If it sizzles, the oil is ready. Add about 3-4 tacos per frying session depending on how big your pan is.
- Fry each taco for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Make sure to have a large platter with paper towels ready to place your tacos after frying them.
- Alternatively, you can air fry these tacos at 375 F for 5 minutes on each side. Close your taco using a toothpick because they WILL open in the air fryer. Brush lightly with oil if you want it extra golden/crispy.
- Once tacos are crispy and ready to eat, add your choice of toppings and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Mexican
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 taco
Keywords: Tacos Dorados vegan plant based, impossible tacos, crispy tacos, vegan crispy tacos