A vegan spinach lasagna that tastes better than the real deal! This hearty, classic take on lasagna is perfect for a special occasion or romantic dinner for date night.
The Best Vegan Spinach Lasagna
There is something incredibly comforting about digging into a classic slice of lasagna. Whether it’s a special occasion or just a weekday dinner, this recipe is sure to impress!
The classic lasagna is made with many layers of ricotta, beef marinara and topped with cheese. I am very proud to present this “better than the original” vegan lasagna! I thought about naming it that but then realized it might be too long of a name hehe. You can give this to the biggest meat eater and watch as they are mind boggled by how delicious (and better than regular lasagna) it is.
My favorite part of this dish is definitely the cashew ricotta. It is one of my favorite vegan cheeses to make because I can honestly say that I enjoy it more than regular ricotta, or at least from what I remember. Made with minimal ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Try it and let me know what you think!
Tips and Substitutes:
You can use any kind of tomato sauce that you prefer but I find that basil tomato always compliments this recipe so well.
Impossible beef is not necessary to make a delicious lasagna. You can use cooked lentils, beyond beef, Trader Joe’s vegan beef or just tomato sauce.
The vegan ricotta is what makes this recipe so special. I highly recommend trying to stick to the recipe as much as possible. If you are allergic to cashews feel free to use only tofu instead. Make sure it is firm tofu – not extra firm, and add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil to replace the natural oil in cashews.
Any plant milk will do for the ricotta but do try to use almond or cashew milk if possible.
Vegan Spinach Lasagna Recipe Highlights:
- 100% plant-based
- High protein
- Meal-prep friendly
- Minimal dishes
- Picky eater friendly
- Absolutely delicious!
Vegan Spinach Lasagna
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
A vegan spinach lasagna that tastes like the real deal! This hearty, classic take on lasagna is perfect for a special dinner, date night in or to have as meal prep for the rest of the week.
- 1 box of lasagna noodles
- 1 jar Tomato Basil Marinara*
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 zucchini, grated or diced
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 package of ground beef impossible*
- Fresh basil
- 1/2–1 cup vegan mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup of almond milk *
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (ACV) or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Soak cashews overnight or in boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain the cashews and add them to the food processor along with the almond milk, ACV, nutritional yeast, garlic, and salt. Taste and adjust the flavors to your preferences.
- Chill the ricotta in the refrigerator while the pasta cooks.
- Follow the directions on the box / bag to cook the lasagna noodles al dente.
- Slice the mushrooms, 1/2 cup of the chopped onions, and the zucchini. Sauté in a medium skillet with a little salt and pepper for 7-10 minutes. Add spinach during the last minute. Let cool.
- Drain the pasta and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to prevent it from sticking or drying out. Place it to prevent it from breaking or bending in strange ways.
- Take the cashew ricotta out of the fridge and toss it with the sautéed mushrooms and spinach.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In another skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté 1/4 cup diced onion until translucent. Add the beef from the vegan group and cook until browned and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add about half of the tomato sauce jar and mix. Reserve.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce on the bottom of your baking dish.
- Place the first layer of lasagna noodles on top of the tomato sauce. Add a generous portion of the vegetable ricotta mixture on top, then add another layer of lasagna noodles. Next, add a layer of marinara and vegan ground beef. Keep repeating the process until the ricotta / vegan meat is gone. Layers from bottom to top should be: Basil Marinara, lasagna, ricotta layer, lasagna, meat layer marinara, lasagna, ricotta layer, lasagna, marinara layer, lasagna, ricotta layer, lasagna, marinara (no meat) , vegan mozzarella.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake for 40 minutes at 350 F. Remove foil and broil uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the dish and let it cool for 15-20 minutes before adding fresh basil to serve and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45
Other recipes for you:
Vegan Saucy Butternut Squash Pasta
4 thoughts on “Vegan Spinach Lasagna”
I made this recipe but I added shredded carrots to my spinach sauce with the vegan mozarella being freshly done 24 hrs prior, I used the beefless package from Trader Joe’s and I did use the tomato basil as suggested and topped it all with some green onions. It was spectacular and so easy to make. so good, I don’t have a pic. It was an immediate success for a party of 6. Thank you!!
So glad you loved it! Way to go adding shredded carrots 🙂
Really really good! I might double the pasta sauce next time and use no boil noodles. The cashew ricotta was indeed the best. I’m filing this in my “good enough for company” list. Thanks!
Aw that is such an honor Ann 🙂 Thank you so much for trying it out!