What is Vegan Tinga?
Tinga is an authentic Mexican dish that originated in Puebla, Mexico. It is typically made with shredded chicken and is famous for its saucy, smoky flavor with a mild kick. Tinga is usually made to be eaten with tostadas but the possibilities are endless! I hope you give it a try, it is one of my favorite jackfruit recipes and the best vegan tinga recipe you will ever try! 🙂
I made a vegan version using jackfruit and I’m super excited to share it with you all! It used to be one of my favorite dishes because of how much flavor it has. Fun fact: the flavor comes from the seasonings, spices, chipotle peppers, and tomatoes NOT the chicken. I was so happy when I found out I could veganize it! The jackfruit tacos pictured above are a super quick and easy vegan lunch that I like to make weekly.
You can also use cabbage instead of jackfruit to make tinga! Nancy from Mexican Made Meatless created a delicious cabbage tinga recipe. Click the link to check it out.
Not only is it vegan, it’s also super easy and only 10 ingredients are required:
Make Vegan Tinga in 4 easy steps:
This is such a quick recipe since you don’t have to cook jackfruit beforehand like you do chicken, it’s all ready to go. You only have a few steps to do:
- Dice tomatoes + onions, mince garlic
- Open some cans
- Shred jackfruit
- Saute + simmer ingredients
… SO EASY!
I absolutely love how versatile this is! The most authentic way to eat it is on tostadas with a little drizzle of sour cream on top. However, we made it with a twist and loved it:
We added black beans for extra protein, sour cream, guac, chips, fresh herbs, and OH MY!
You can also enjoy it in taco form, in a burrito, quesadilla, and anything else your heart desires. One of my favorite ways to enjoy tinga is in the form of vegan chicken tacos.
Tips & Substitutes:
It’s hard to substitute the jackfruit but if you can find or make shredded seitan that does not have any seasoning then you’ve got a great substitute!
You can use 1/4 pre-made vegetable broth instead of the No Chicken Better than Bouillon + water.
I would not recommend substituting anything else for this recipe as it is already very simple and authentic as possible.
Tip: Great for meal prep! Tastes better the day after because all the flavors marinate.
Check out some more vegan mexican recipes:Print
- Total Time: 35
- Yield: 6 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Super easy and fast vegan Tinga recipe. Shredded vegan chicken with a flavorful smoked sauce; Authentic Mexican Tinga made from plants!
- 2 large cans jackfruit (3 cups grated)
- 1 tablespoon of neutral oil
- 3 cups diced tomato
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1–2 teaspoons vegan Better Than Bouillon
- 2–3 chipotles in adobo, diced
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Open the cans of jackfruit, drain and rinse well to remove the brine flavor. Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Make a vegetable broth by whisking Better than Bouillon in 1/4 cup of water.
- Turn a skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, diced chipotles, adobo sauce, cumin, and oregano. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked through. Crush the tomatoes with the back of the spoon as they cook for more sauce.
- After about 10 minutes, add the jackfruit, salt, pepper, mix well and simmer for an additional 6-7 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve with tostadas, in a salad, burrito, or in tacos!
* ideal for preparing meals, flavors marinate well overnight
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Vegan, Mexican, Herbal, Jackfruit
One thought on “Vegan Tinga”
One of the best jackfruit recipes I’ve made to date. It really does taste a lot like tinga and is a great vegan chicken option.