When my husband and I first tried these vegan lentil tacos, we were mind blown! This lentil taco meat is such a great alternative to ground beef for those that are looking for a great Meatless Monday recipe or just trying to eat more plant-based.
Reducing your meat intake and substituting with plant-based proteins (like lentils) can impact your health significantly! Even if you start small, such as one day a week.
Here’s why you’ll love these Vegan Lentil Tacos:
Weeknight ready: Can be ready in 15-25 minutes with minimal dishes!
Meal-prep friendly: You will most likely have leftovers to pack for lunch the next day. Add them to a burrito or serve over rice!
Flavorful and delish: The combination of seasonings and spices blends so well together and makes it super yummy.
Nourishing: Lentils are so hearty and protein-packed but they are also rich in iron. The iron from the lentils is more available for your body to absorb because it is paired with tomatoes and lime juice which are high in vitamin C. Iron + Vitamin C = better iron absorption!
Tips & Substitutes:
Green or brown lentils are best. Red lentils will do but get a bit mushier — if you like that texture, go for it! Taco meat can be made from so many different plant-based proteins. If you’re looking for a nut-based vegan meat, I highly recommend Plant Based RD’s Vegan Walnut Tacos Meat.
Soy sauce can be substituted for tamari or coconut aminos. Use tamari if gluten-free.
Fire-roasted tomatoes with green chiles add great flavor but you can also use fresh diced tomatoes and 1-2 jalapeños to substitute.
Chipotles in adobo sauce add a hint of smoky flavor. If you’re super sensitive to spicy I recommend only adding one.
Do not skimp on the spices and seasonings. Always taste as you go and add more, remember everyone’s palette is a bit different.
Other vegan taco recipes:Print
Easy Lentil Tacos
- Total Time: 25
- Yield: 8 1x
- Diet: Vegan
You’ll love this quick, easy, and super satisfying 1 pot taco recipe! This Monday through Friday dinner can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 4 cups of cooked green lentils
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes chopped with green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 3–4 chipotles in adobo, diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Turn a large pot over medium heat and add a splash of vegetable broth. r! Once hot add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for one more minute.
- Add the rest of the vegetable broth as well as the chipotles, cumin, chili powder, maple syrup, and soy sauce. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes as well as the cooked lentils. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt / spices to taste. Add lemon juice last and serve with tortillas, over rice, or however you prefer.
* Excellent for preparing meals
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexicano
Keywords: Vegan, Mexican, Herbal, Lentils, Tacos, Vegan Tacos, Easy Vegan Recipe, Weekday Dinner
One thought on “Easy Lentil Tacos”
this recipe it was awesome