Nopales con Huevo is a breakfast staple at any Mexican home. It is a savory Mexican-style egg scramble with nopales (prickly pear cactus), tomato, onion, and jalapeño. It is super easy to make and only requires 5 main ingredients.
- 4 nopales, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, diced
- 1 bottle of JustEgg OR 1 block of tofu
- (see above for tofu option)
- 1–2 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice nopales into cube-sized pieces. Add to a pot with 2 teaspoons salt, and half an onion (not diced), and cover with water. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- While nopales are cooking, dice the other half of the onion, 2 tomatoes, and 1 jalapeño or Serrano pepper.
- Set up a drainer in the sink for when the nopales finish cooking. Drain nopales and set aside.
- Set a large pan on medium heat and add oil. Once hot, add in diced onion and cook for 2 minutes. Next, add diced tomatoes and jalapeño pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until tomatoes cook down a little.
- Add the nopales and cook for a few minutes to eliminate excess nopal juice. Finally, add in the JustEgg or Scrambled tofu. Cook for another 5-6 minutes or until fully cooked. Taste as you go and adjust salt/pepper.
- Serve with corn tortillas, salsa, avocado, and queso fresco.