These buffalo tofu wings are perfectly crispy on the outside, tender, and “meaty” on the inside. They are the perfect, high-protein appetizer, game day meal, or weekend comfort food. Buffalo tofu wings that will make you love tofu!
Buffalo Tofu Wings
I grew up eating buffalo wings all the time when I was a teenager. Growing up in the bay area, I was a frequent flyer at Wing Stop and Buffalo Wild Wings. After going vegan I KNEW I had to recreate my own version of a good “boneless” buffalo wing. Safe to say that after testing this recipe multiple times, I am finally able to share this masterpiece.
There are few secrets to getting the perfect buffalo tofu wings. I highly recommend using the air fryer instruction for getting the crispy texture without extra oil. However, I provide instructions for baking, air-frying, and regular frying method as well.
- Tofu: The type of tofu must be extra firm or high protein tofu for best results. I get my high-protein tofu at Trader Joe’s. PRO TIP: freeze tofu overnight and then fully defrost for a more chicken-like texture.
- Soy Sauce: This will add a good umami flavor to get that “meaty” taste. You can also use tamari if gluten-free or liquid aminos.
- Chicken-less seasoning: I used to get mine from trader Joe’s but I don’t think they have it anymore.
- Oil: Tofu has significantly lower fat content than chicken so it’s important to add oil if you want to achieve a similar flavor and texture. I use avocado oil but you can also use canola, vegetable, or safflower oil.
- Nutritional yeast: Also known as “Nooch”. I highly recommend that you don’t skip this ingredient! It gives it an extra umami flavor that is a tad bit nutty but perfect for this recipe. It truly brings all the flavors together. It can get pricey at most stores but good ole trader Joe’s has it for $2.99!
- Garlic & Onion Powder: You will absolutely need these two ingredients, don’t skip them!
- Corn Starch: You can also use flour or tapioca starch. These will help the tofu get extra crispy.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: One of the most important ingredients to get that crispy breaded chicken wing texture. I really like Whole Foods 365 brand but sometimes I make my own at home.
- Buffalo Sauce: Gotta love Frank’s Red Hot Sauce but use YOUR favorite one 🙂
Tips For The Best Buffalo Tofu Wings
- Freeze and fully defrost your tofu before making them. This will give it a more “chicken-like” texture.
- Press your tofu after defrosting it.
- Avoid cutting tofu with a knife, you want to break it apart with your hands for extra surface area.
- When cooking in the air fryer or oven, rotate every 6-7 minutes to cook it evenly.
- Pair with veggies and a carb for a balanced meal!
- Dip in a vegan ranch for extra flavor.
- Use an air-fryer is possible for best results with minimal oil.
- If air-frying, cook time may vary depending on the type of air fryer and the size of your tofu wings.