This lentil kale salad is nourishing but incredibly satisfying and flavorful. The various textures and flavors from the lentils, vegetables, herbs, and lemon olive oil dressing make you feel like you’re on top of the world. This salad is perfect for meal-prep, a summer picnic, or even a potluck with friends and family
Lentil Kale Salad
This is one of those salads that almost everyone will love! It is hearty, nutritious, flavorful, but most importantly, super easy to make. It is a big reminder that sometimes simplicity is the best and the combination of certain foods is just absolute perfection.
I was inspired to make this lentil kale salad after growing my own kale for the first time. It was so tender and soft that I knew it would go perfectly in a hearty vegan salad. It’s packed with protein, iron, fiber, and many micronutrients that go together to optimize some of the most essential functions of the body.
- 100% plant-powder and plant-based
- High in protein, iron, and fiber
- Meal-prep friendly
- Easy to make and quick clean-up
- Satisfying and flavorful
- Picnic, BBQ, and potluck friendly
Lentil Kale Salad Ingredients:
- Lentils: I recommend using green lentils as they hold their shape well and the texture goes well with this recipe. You can also use brown lentils but avoid red or any other kind of lentil.
- Kale: Baby kale works best for this recipe.
- Cherry tomatoes: I love the hint of sweetness that cherry tomatoes add to this salad but you can use regular tomatoes or your favorite kind.
- Cucumber or Zucchini: I personally love to add cucumber for the extra crunch and freshness but since my husband doesn’t like them (I KNOW RIGHT?!) I added zucchini.
- Red onion: I usually don’t like raw onions but I make an exception for this salad. I wouldn’t recommend using any other onion but red. It is not as strong as the others and adds a good flavor.
- Fresh herbs: You can really go with what you feel like you would like the most but I personally love a bland of either fresh mint with basil or mint with parsley. Do not skip out of the fresh herbs, they add a ton of flavor!
- Avocado: I always add it when I have a ripe one available because #healthyfats.
- Sliced almonds or seeds: Extra crunch with your salad? YES PLEASE, love the various textures in salads, makes them more enjoyable.
Other Delicious Salads:
Nopal Salad (Mexican Cactus Salad)Print
Lentil Kale Salad
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This lentil kale salad is nourishing but incredibly satisfying and flavorful. The various textures and flavors from the lentils, vegetables, herbs, and lemon olive oil dressing make you feel like you’re on top of the world.
- 2 cups green lentils, cooked and drained
- 1 cup baby kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1–2 cucumbers or zucchinis, diced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley or basil, minced
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds
- 2 limes or lemons, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 pinch of salt
- Place a medium pot of water to boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add lentils.
- Cook lentils for about 12-14 minutes until soft but not mushy! Immediately drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside to cool off and then chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Roughly chop the kale, and prep all other vegetables and herbs meanwhile.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Once lentils are chilled, add all salad ingredients to a salad bowl along with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Add avocado and any other toppings you’d like and serve.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Salads
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: Lentil kale salad, vegan salad, vegan protein salad