This verdolaga recipe (verdolaga receta), is a delicious edible plant popular in Mexico. It is made using a mild but flavorful salsa, and paired with some meaty portobello mushrooms for a satisfying bite. This recipe is great for those wanting to eat more nutritious Mexican food!
- 2 cups Verdolagas (purslane), roughly chopped
- 1–2 portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Chile Puya or dried chili of choice (see above)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grind cumin seeds in a molcajete or a pestle and mortar. Add garlic clove, puya chili, splash of water, and salt. Grind until a thick paste forms and continue adding water to form a sauce that is easy to pour out.
- Turn a pan on medium heat and add a bit of oil. Once the oil is hot, add diced onions. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add diced tomatoes and chili sauce. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, cook for about 5 minutes, and then add verdolagas along with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes until verdolagas are cooked but not overly cooked.
- Serve immediately with beans, tortillas, vegan cheese, or rice.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: sides
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Keywords: Verdolagas receta, Verdolagas recipe