These vegan potato and carrot flautas are crispy on the outside, soft and flavorful on the inside. They are perfect for celebrating cinco de mayo, Mexican independence day, or just a fun weeknight dinner with the family.
Potato Flautas with Shredded Carrot
If you want to make some nutritious yet flavorful Mexican dish, these vegan potato and carrot flautas are the perfect recipe! Flautas are crispy tacos also known as taquitos. They are typically fried in oil but I made them in my air fryer which I highly recommend doing. I also provide instructions on frying them in oil and baking them in the oven down below.
My mom used to make potato flautas a lot when I was little, and it’s safe to say I was a huge fan! I added shredded carrot to this recipe for extra texture and nutrients, and it did not disappoint. They are super easy to make and will probably turn into a regular weeknight dinner in your home 🙂
Made with 6 Main Ingredients:
- Tortillas: I typically make these with corn tortillas but also love how they came out using with Maria and Ricardo’s small whole-grain tortillas. The best corn tortillas to use are regular Guerrero tortillas or homemade corn tortillas that are thinly made.
- Potatoes: Any potatoes work for this recipe but I typically use russet or Yukon gold. Sweet potatoes would also be really delicious in this recipe if you’re into a hint of sweetness!
- Carrots: Regular carrots work well the only difference would be the size. I like using lots of carrots in this recipe because I enjoy the texture of shredded carrots.
- Onions: I highly recommend using yellow or white onion for this recipe.
- Vegan Chorizo: I LOVE trader Joe’s vegan chorizo because it’s the closest to the authentic Mexican chorizo. If you want to make your own, I like Dora’s table recipe.
- Seasonings: I recommend keeping it simple with cumin, onion powder, salt, and pepper for the best results.
Tips for the BEST Potato and Carrot Flautas
- Toppings: This is where you can get creative or just add your favorite toppings. My personal favorites are shredded cabbage or lettuce, chopped tomato, salsa, queso fresco, and guacamole or avocado.
- Salsas: I highly recommend using a salsa verde, avocado salsa, or salsa de molcajete for this recipe.
- Cooking Methods
- Air frying: My personal favorite. Brush lightly with oil and place in air fryer at 390 F for 7-10 minutes until golden crispy. Click here to buy the air fryer I use!
- Frying in oil: Use about a half cup of avocado or canola oil. Heat it up in a pan until it is hot and then add your rolled-up taquitos. Fry them for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Oven: Baking these flautas is also a good idea! Brush lightly with oil and bake at 400 F for 10-12 minutes until golden crispy.