These delicious tofu tacos will turn any tofu hater into a tofu lover! Shredded extra firm tofu marinaded with Mexican spices that show off that umami meat-like flavor and texture. The perfect taco for those that still want the flavor and texture of meat in a plant-based taco.
When I said goodbye to meat I knew I was going to miss tacos. There is nothing better than a meaty taco that’s loaded with flavor, lime, and salsa. These tofu tacos are the perfect alternative that provides a similar flavor and satisfaction to regular tacos but at a cheaper price and with added health benefits. I can safely say that everyone that has tried this shredded tofu meat is impressed after trying it.
- High-protein tofu: I like to use high-protein tofu for this recipe. High-protein tofu is the best texture for this recipe and it’s also easier to prep as it does not need to be pressed. I buy mine at Trader Joe’s.
- Soy Sauce, Tamari, or Salsa Maggie: This adds that great umami flavor that beef has. You can also use coconut aminos or liquid aminos.
- Nutritional Yeast: Also known as “nooch”. The star of the show! Nooch is flavorful, umami, nutty, cheesy, and incredibly addicting. I recommend buying it at Trader joe’s if you have one nearby as it is the most affordable. This ingredient really takes this tofu meat to the next level.
- Spices and seasonings: The best spices to include for Mexican flavor: cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika or chili powder. You can also feel free to use a pre-made seasoning mix. I like to use Todo Verde’s carnitas seasoning.
Tips for the Best Tofu Tacos
- Marinade tofu in a sauce for 15-30 so it can soak up the flavor. 5-10 minutes also works!
- Don’t want to use the oven? Air fry at 390 F for 16-22 minutes (depending on how crispy you like it). Toss every 7-8 minutes to cook evenly.