This shredded King Oyster Mushroom Recipe is perfect for tacos and a variety of other dishes. It is super easy to make, nutritious, and 100% plant-based. Make it for an easy Mexican-inspired weeknight dinner with a side of beans and rice or as a filling!
King Oyster Mushroom Recipe for Tacos
What makes these tacos so unique? The type of mushroom! King oyster mushrooms have long, thick stems that shred perfectly into a meaty-like texture. Don’t expect them to taste just like meat, but do expect a great meaty texture and flavor! You can find these at Whole Foods, Lucky, Safeway, and most Asian markets.
Make these king oyster mushroom tacos for anyone and I can almost assure you that they’ll enjoy them just as much as regular tacos. I love to use this as a meat substitute for many dishes that call for shredded meat, such as quesadillas, enchiladas, “pulled pork” sandwiches, and more. Shredded king oyster mushrooms can be a filling for so many other dishes! They are also rich in nutrients and antioxidants in case you need another reason to try them 🙂
How to Clean Oyster Mushrooms
Washing mushrooms doesn’t always have to involve water: They are porous, so they function as sponges, soaking up water, which makes it difficult to get them crispy in the cooking process. With that in mind, here are a few tips for getting your oyster mushrooms clean enough to cook:
- Use a paper towel. Wipe off the dirt with a damp paper towel or damp cloth if you find a lot of heavy residue on your mushrooms. Don’t go too heavy with the water or the pressure, as you don’t want to damage your mushrooms.
- Try a quick rinse. You shouldn’t have to give your mushrooms a deep cleaning. Instead, place them in a colander and rinse them briefly under running water if necessary.
- Use a mushroom brush. Use this specialty tool to brush off any excess dirt lightly. If you don’t have a mushroom brush, a pastry brush works just as well.
How to Shred King Oyster Mushrooms
- Take a fork and begin scratching the mushroom from the bottom to the top of the stem.
- Apply a bit of pressure but not too much, you want thin shreds so shred multiple times in the same spot if needed to thin the shreds out.
- Repeat until all mushrooms have been shredded.
How to cook this King Oyster Mushroom Recipe
- For a little extra crispy shredded mushroom, I recommend using an air fryer or oven. Air fry at 375 F for 8-12 minutes depending on the desired texture. Be careful to not burn them as they are easy to burn!
- For the absolute best mushroom tacos, marinate with sauce for a minimum of 30 minutes but preferably a few hours.
- Add shredded mushrooms to burritos bowls, tacos, burritos, nachos, or a plate of rice and beans!
- You can substitute the mushrooms for jackfruit too! Canned green jackfruit is best.