These King Oyster Mushroom Tacos are some of the most savory and satisfying vegan mushroom tacos out there! They are super easy to make, nutritious, and 100% plant-based. Make them for an easy Mexican-inspired weeknight dinner with a side of beans and rice.
The Best Vegan Mushroom Tacos
What makes these tacos so unique? The type of mushroom! King oyster mushrooms have long, thick stems that shred perfectly into a meaty-like texture. Don’t expect them to taste just like meat, but do expect a great meaty texture and flavor! You can find these at Whole Foods, Lucky, Safeway, and most Asian markets.
Make these vegan mushroom tacos for anyone and I can almost assure you that they’ll enjoy them just as much as regular tacos. I love to use this as a meat substitute for many dishes that call for shredded meat, such as quesadillas, enchiladas, “pulled pork” sandwiches and more. Shredded king oyster mushroom can be a filling for so many other dishes! They are also rich in nutrients and antioxidants in case you needed another reason to try them 🙂
How to Shred King Oyster Mushrooms
- Take a fork and begin scratching the mushroom from the bottom to the top of the stem.
- Apply a bit of pressure but not too much, you want thin shreds.
- Repeat until all mushrooms have been shredded.
Tips for The Best King Oyster Mushroom Tacos
- For extra crispy shredded mushroom, I recommend using an air fryer or oven. Air fry at 375 F for 8-12 minutes depending on the desired texture.
- For the absolute best vegan mushroom tacos, marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes but preferably a few hours.
- Add shredded mushrooms to burritos bowls, tacos, burritos, nachos or a plate of rice and beans!
- You can substitute the mushrooms for jackfruit too! Canned green jackfruit it best.