This Torta de Portobello will give you a taste of a real authentic Mexican sandwich. The portobello mushrooms are well seasoned and marinade, making them super savory and meaty. The pickled jalapeños and all the other fresh vegetables that we get to stack within the torta create the perfect combination and texture.
Torta de Portobello
I recently came back from Mexico and found myself craving a Mexican torta with a meaty filling. I was just visiting my family that lives in Purepero, Michoacan where they are known for making some of the best tortas in the area. Unfortunately, they don’t have any meat substitutes so I had to get a full veggie torta with only avocado, lettuce, tomato, and jalapeños. It was good, but it did not fully satisfy my cravings.
As soon as I got back to my kitchen I started playing around with flavors and portobello recipes. I am so excited to finally share this delicious Mexican Torta de Portobello recipe with you all! It is super easy to make, overall very nutritious, and absolutely mouthwatering. Enjoy it with a nice cold beer and some Mexican tunes 🙂
Tips and Substitute ideas:
- Portobellos: Portobellos are some of the meatiest mushrooms out there. They are perfect for this recipe because of their shape and texture. However, if you decide to use other mushrooms, I highly recommend using king oyster mushrooms as a second-best choice. They have long stems that you use to shred and make something similar to shredded meat. It won’t give you the feeling of a slice of carne asada like portobellos but it’s still super meaty and delicious.
- Liquid aminos or soy sauce: This helps give the best umami flavor to the mushrooms. You can also use Tamari if you’re gluten-free.
- Maple syrup: A hint of sweetness helps balance out the flavors and gives it an extra “oomph”. You gotta trust me on this one. You can easily substitute with agave syrup or regular sugar.
- Spices: I highly recommend not leaving out! Garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper are the perfect little spice combination for this recipe.
- Vegetables: I just used vegetables that are typical of torta ingredients, so if you want to most authentic experience, try using all of them.
- Bread: The bread that is used for tortas
More Delicious Mexican Recipes:Print