There is nothing like some crispy air-fried OR baked tofu! This versatile and super easy-to-make crispy tofu recipe with only 6 ingredients will blow your mind. It’s also diabetes friendly and gluten-free. Add it to a pasta bowl, teriyaki bowl, sandwich or soup!
The Perfect Crispy Tofu Recipe
This is the perfect tofu recipe to use for pasta dishes, veggie stir-fry, noodles, ramen and so much more. The flavor is similar to breaded chicken so feel free to use it as a protein addition to your favorite meals. It’s also kid-friendly as they love it as a chicken nugget/tender replacement. Watch as they dip it into ketchup and eat it all up!
Tips and Tricks:
Marinade tofu in a sauce for 30 minutes to an hour so it can soak up the flavor. 5-10 minutes also works! You will still get some good flavor. In this recipe we soak the tofu in liquid aminos which gives is a delicious umami flavor! Substitutes for liquid aminos: Low sodium tamari or soy sauce.
Drizzle or dip in sauces! My favorite sauce to add to this crispy tofu recipe is teriyaki. I also love adding sweet chili sauce, sriracha, barbecue and sometimes even ketchup. You can also check out my super popular peanut sauce and savory/sweet tofu sauce. Use sauces as a drizzle or dip after serving.
Freeze packaged tofu and fully defrost before cooking. This texture is unreal and pretty similar to chicken. Make sure to press your tofu after defrosting or buy high protein tofu. Trader Joe’s has a great high protein tofu for $2.50. You can press your tofu after it has defrosted fully to make sure you get all excess liquid out.
Air fried tofu is the best tofu! Air fry at 390 F for 16-22 minutes (depending on how crispy you like it). Flip/mix every 7-8 minutes to cook evenly. Don’t have an air-fryer? You can also bake at 400 for 22-25 minutes also flipping every 7-8 minutes for best results.
PRO TIP: If you’re baking it use a silicone mat! This will help you achieve an ultimate level of crisp that you can normally only get using an air fryer. I have linked the one I have.
More Tofu Recipes:Print
Crispy Tofu Recipe
- Total Time: 55
- Diet: Vegan
The most flavorful crispy tofu recipe you will try! This tofu pairs well with almost any meal. I love adding it to pasta dishes, ramen, rice dishes and even pizza!
- 1 block of extra firm tofu (see above)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup liquid amino acids
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pepper to taste
- Freeze, thaw completely, and press tofu before cooking. (OPTIONAL but results in great texture).
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch thick strips or 1/2-inch thick slices or use your hands to divide it into pieces like nuggets.
- Add the tofu to a shallow dish or baking sheet and add the liquid amino acids. Marinate for at least 5-10 minutes, but preferably 30.
- Add garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and nutritional yeast to a shallow bowl. Take each slice / strip of tofu and top with a nutritional yeast mixture. Use your hands to coat well then transfer to a baking sheet or deep fryer.
- Repeat until all the tofu pieces are covered.
- Fry in the air at 390 ° for 16-20 minutes. Flip every 7-8 minutes to cook evenly OR bake at 400 for 22-25 minutes also flipping every 7-8 minutes for best results.
- Check for crispiness before removing. Serve with your favorite food!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Tofu
- Method: Air Fryer, Baking, Stove
- Serving Size: 4 servings