This vegan Carne asada is meaty, delicious, made 100% from plants, and it’s as close as you’ll get to the real deal. You’ll only need 8 ingredients in total to transport you to the days of Mexican carne asadas.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 12–14 corn tortillas
- Cilantro, minced
- Onion, diced
- Salsa of choice
- Lime wedges
- Set a pot of water to boil, and add 2 tbsp soy sauce.
- Add all seitan ingredients to a food processor and process until a dough forms.
- Take it out of the food processor and onto a countertop. Knead well and pound for 5 minutes.
- Add to boiling water and turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 50 minutes.
- Once the seitan is done cooking, take it out and set it aside to cool off. Once it’s cooled, slice it into carne asada-like pieces. For best results, refrigerate overnight and cook the next day. This helps it get more of a meaty texture.
- When ready to cook, add a bit of oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and cook until fragrant. Next, add seitan slices to the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve on tortillas as tacos or in burritos, nachos, and so much more. If having tacos, add cilantro, onion, lime juice, and salsa!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 50
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan carne asada, easy seitan recipe, best seitan recipe, mexican seitan recipe, vegan mexican recipes